It’s Official – the newest school in Stamford is named: Strawberry Hill, an Extension of Rogers International School!
Strawberry Hill School opened in September 2016 and enrolled 240 students in kindergarten and grade one, with one grade to be added each year until it becomes a K-8 school by 2023. As an Inter-District Magnet School, Strawberry Hill will invite students from Stamford and the surrounding towns.
Strawberry Hill School is in the historic building, former home of Sacred Heart Academy, the girls’ Catholic School. The city bought the 10.8-acre property from the Sisters of St. Joseph in 2014 – eight years after the group closed Sacred Heart Academy. There are four buildings on the property; the main, four-story building that was built in 1925 and had a gym added later, a separate building that housed the nuns, a caretaker’s house and the old barn that has been used for concerts.
Though it’s officially open, construction will continue until at least 2018. The recently completed first phase of the project included razing an old convent on the property and renovating the original school building and adjacent 1964 structure. After the new wing is built – around fall 2018 – students will be moved there while the 1925 building is completed and the 1964 structure is converted into an auditorium. All three structures will be connected once the project is complete.
When the school is fully expanded, it will host about 900 students, a quarter of which will come from outside Stamford.
Strawberry Hill has International Baccalaureate program, currently as an extension of Rogers Magnet School. IB program aims to foster caring, open-minded, communicative thinkers who will help to create a more peaceful world through intercultural understanding.